Thursday, September 10, 2009

s/w update process heading for 100% duty cycles

so every time I go away for more than 1 day, i live in fear of coming home or back to my office -no, its not the mountain of email (or spam) - I have the tools for that

its the s/w update on windows, linux, mac (and ditto smart phones) that is queued up waiting to install (and ask me to agree to terms I already agreed to 11 zillion times before for iTunes or Mac Office or foobarbaz antivirus)...

but also it's how **** slow the whole system goes (and there are lots of systems) and how unresponsive it is till all the stuff is done and dusted.....note this is not an anttimicrosoft rant - its just as bad on a Mac and not much better on linux boxen...

there really ought to be a better way (pre-click EULAs and then trickle the updates in is ok, but its not very green or even safe as I have to leave a zillion boxes on in my house - there should be a "sort merge " on the update (I know service packs do this, but perhaps not in enough permutations)...

1 comment:

Richard G. Clegg said...

I can't comment for Mac but on Windows this in particular drives me mad. Every time I take a holiday there is windows update + printer + java + anti-virus + other software tools. At least on linux it is (for me using Ubuntu or Debian) one unified installer so it is a single process which begins then completes with only one click box. How much worse must this be for the casual user who logs in once every two weeks.